Thursday, November 21, 2013

Meet the crew...

So due to weather, we had a delay in our departure.  We were unable to haul the boat out to clean it, so it looks like we have a couple of weeks to kill.  There's been a decent amount of down time the past few days, so I thought I would introduce you to the crew.

Mike:

This is Captain Mike with Teeny.  Mike is 65 years old and is a retired accounting professor.  It's his boat that we are taking, and he used to live on it with his family in the 80s.  He is a veteran and former Navy Seal.  I like to think of him as Captain Superman, because he seriously can do anything.  The boat we are on was actually hollow when he bought it and he built everything inside it.  He has a doctorate degree in business, scuba instructor certification, installs his own solar panels, and can even sew, as seen above.  He's always prepared; the first mate (Joe) always jokes about how Mike never gets rid of anything, and it's true, Mike has anything we might need, "just in case".  He also has a quiet generosity about him, like his "just in case" isn't just in case he needs it, but in case anybody needs help. 

Joe: 

This is Joe, the first mate.  He's 72 years old, and a retired 3 star admiral in the Navy.  For those not familiar military rankings, he was literally 1 star away from being the highest possible position in the Navy. He was also a POW and spent 5 years in a prison in Vietnam. His whole story is like something out of a movie. Joe is one of the nicest guys you'll ever meet, just really genuine and good natured. He also a very humble guy, after being an admiral and respected leader, he has no problem deferring to Mike. He has been chasing this dream of sailing around the world for the past 25+ years, and was on his way in 2011, when an accident prevented the journey from going on.  So now I am determined that we complete this circumnavigation for the both us!

Then there is me:

I know what you're thinking, ridiculously good looking and charming. I am 32 years old, and have VERY little sailing experience.  I have been spending time studying a lot and asking tons of questions, and I have actually already learned a ton, but on the job experience is what I am really needing.  I lived in South Korea for the last 8 years as a Resident Assistant at a boarding school.  Unlike my shipmates, I am not retired, I am just on hiatus, and trying to figure out what I am going to do after I finish with the trip.  Any suggestions? (keep in mind Christine need to be able to join me)

Both of the guys are really fun, and we're having a good time so far, even though we haven't set sail yet.  At least I think we are all getting on well.  I think it's going to be a good time!

Thanks for the prayers, keep it real!

3 comments:

  1. It will literally be the ride of a lifetime!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yeah it will. So here's something crazy- Chris works the daughter of Mike. Small world.

      Delete
  2. It is obvious that Joe did not write his bio, he never talks about himself. He has a cool head and would be the thinker in a gunfight. He will take care of you. V/R Hoser

    ReplyDelete