Thursday, November 14, 2013

Meet the Boat!

First I want to give you an update on some the awesome stuff I have been doing over the past.  First, let me just say the guys have great taste in food, and by that I mean, I have been eating deliciously unhealthily. They insure me that once we are at sea I will lose weight, but my current concern is adult on-set diabetes. So one night we went out for Chinese food and I got this fortune...
So this seems like a good sign...

So there were a couple of things I wanted to film, but either I forgot to or it just didn't turn out well, or I am just an idiot- any one of those three things.  So one thing we did was take down the mainsail and switched it out with a new mainsail.  The mainsail is the sail that is attached to the mast which is the big pole sticking out of the middle of the boat.  And although it sounds pretty simple, it's actually a pretty involved project.  I did start out filming this project but it took us about 6 hours to do the whole thing, and there was a lot of time in there with me just standing there, and you guys don't need to see that, it's embarrassing.  Also at one point the battery died and all the interesting stuff wasn't even filmed unbeknownst to me.  

Another exciting thing we did was clean the boat!  I know what you're thinking, it's not as glamorous as it sounds.  Life here isn't all just jumping into 60 degree water and scrubbing muck of the bottom of boat, sometimes we have to work on our tans!  Seriously though, it was actually pretty fun for the experience of it.  Basically we just got into wetsuits and jumped into the water right next to the boat and Joe and I snorkeled around cleaning off the sides of the boat.  Mike then got an air compressor and regulator and swam below the boat to clean it off.  There were times when it was kind of gross, but it was one of those experiences that's cool because I am learning a new skill.

In the evenings we will occasionally go for walks around Coronado, which is a beautiful place.  Here's a picture of the San Diego skyline at night from Coronado...
Beautiful eh?

So yesterday we ordered some equipment for the trip, and I ordered some foul weather gear, and it arrived so here's a picture of me, as a sailor, now I just need to learn to sail...


And lastly the moment you've all been waiting for, this is a video tour of the boat I am sailing on, hopefully this will give you and idea of my living situation for the next 18 months.  


Tomorrow we are hauling out, or taking the boat out of the water, to get it power washed, and then we will repaint the bottom with a special type of paint.  That's our plans for the next few days, so it should be a pretty busy weekend.

Thanks for the prayers, and keep it real.

3 comments:

  1. Seems like you've got some stuff on that boat. A lot of it!
    Thanks for the tour.

    ReplyDelete
  2. On this week's Freakonomics podcast, one host was talking about how 60% of the world's adults have some sort of access to the internet. The other host responded by saying, "What are the other 40% doing? Sailing around the world?" I thought of you. Good luck, man!

    ReplyDelete