Thursday, January 23, 2014

The last couple of weeks...

So today I was watching the show Community, [mild spoiler alert] and one of the actors on the show is leaving the show, and so they are writing him out of the show by having him leave to sail around the world.  Is it weird to get sad seeing a fictional character realizing my dream?  Although, now I guess it's just something that everyone does, so no big deal (I wanted to circumnavigate before it was cool)...

The last couple of weeks have been back in South Korea.  It's been a little weird being back, but it's been great seeing friends again, however briefly.  I think it would have been weird to come back here after 18 months away and see just a whole new crowd, and not recognize any of the faces. One of the most awkward things is talking to people who didn't know me well, and haven't been following what's been going on, and answering the proverbial, "What are you doing here?" I mean what are any of us doing here, maaaaan? (said in that voice that sounds like someone trying to make something deep out of something congenial).  For the past couple of weeks, I've been visiting some of my favorite Daejeon haunts, and catching up with friends.  I've learned that riding a scooter on ice is super difficult, and that I really really can't wait to spend the rest of the winter somewhere warm.   
 
 It's still been hard processing a lot of what transpired on the trip, and the choices that have been made.  Many people have told me that God has a plan for everything, and although I know that it's true, sometimes it's hard to believe it.  Right now I guess I am just trying to figure out what's next for me.  I have a couple of things in the mix, but I am waiting to find out if they will work out or not.  So more on that as information comes to light.  I am really wanting to get back into something where I can positively impact lives.  I miss the days of having a greater purpose- it's always nice knowing that even when I have a bad day, I am doing something for a greater good.

Today we leave for Phuket, Thailand.  A group of 7 of us are heading there for Lunar New Year, so that should be pretty fun.  I've been there a number of times and I love it- good weather, good food, good diving.  So as it is right now I am going to be spending the next few months there working on my dive training, and so I should be finished with that by the end of April, and from there I will come back to Korea, and continue working on my studies in education.  I know there's probably questions about how the whole diving thing will work, and where I will stay, and logistical stuff like that, and so to put your minds at ease, I will continue to update this blog over the next few months (hopefully about once a week).  I will also try to put together some more videos of diving and Thailand.  

Thanks for reading, and thanks for your support.  

Thanks for the prayers, Keep it real.

2 comments:

  1. This past week on Community, I got a little choked up thinking of you as Styx's 'Come Sail Away' played while Troy drifted off on his boat... I'd love to be able to hit up the Daejeon haunts a few more times, too. Enjoy your trip, man!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks bro! Wish we could visit Daejeon haunts together! Hope you're doing well!

      Delete